Monday, January 14, 2019

WORD

I am writing today about the events of my weekend and with a writing prompt provided by my group @hopewriters.  The writing word prompt today is WORD.

This past weekend was a whirlwind. As Marc and I were moving our middle daughter home form Nashville ( yeah Graduate!!) I received word that my father was in the hospital.  Receiving words like that will stop you in your tracks. The fact that those words came via group text to my sister and I at 12:45am and we were unable to hear any words from my father's own lips until later was very stressful.  Sometimes words are not necessary  and other times the lack of words; waiting for word can be excruciating. 

The words that finally came were a throat punch : Heart Attack


My sister immediately went to be by dad's side for comfort, his health advocate and communicate information to the rest of us.  Things eventually turned out the best they could be. I focused on particular positive words as I listened to the information.  It was a MILD attack, ONE blockage, SUCCESSFUL stint and our dad drove himself to the ER at the advice of his physician. Apparently more words were needed to convey that Dad should get a ride with a neighbor or ambulance!  I come from a long line of self sufficient if not stubborn people. 

 I was able to speak with him shortly after the procedure and his words were honey to the soul.  As usual he wanted to know how I was doing and talked about how well he was feeling. He has a easy way of being positive and light. How ironic that his words even in his distress brought such great comfort.

As I was talking, my sister sent me pictures of dad's heart.

I glanced at the now fully flowing arteries and it occurred to me that this is the soil where words land.  Not just the "heart" in the feel good way but also how words affect us beyond feelings into our very physical being.

Our words come out of our mouth and into the ears; but they ultimately  take root in the heart. 

Words matter.

Words heal and destroy.  Even those left unsaid.

The words between my father and I have not always been perfectly beautiful but they have been good and whole.  My heart was at ease there.  My father while a very healthy 78 year old not on any medication walks up to 3 miles a day and eats well.  The heart issue was baffling until you take into account that he lost his wife of over 20 years last October.  It was unexpected and sudden. 

Dad and Sue were synced together well. One didn't take offense when the other was quiet nor did they ignore the expressions of the other.

His heart was missing his daily nutrition of her words.
He was missing the exercise of the words he uttered to her.
Somewhere along the line he didn't hear "supper is ready" or " let's walk downtown" and these habits prompted by words from his other half faded away.  

The missing words of love echoed silent in his home and heart.  Grief is a peculiar companion; offering mountaintops of memories and canyons of sorrow all in the same breath. What is outside the body truly manifest itself to the body; the connection is binding.

Dad realized that he had forgotten about himself a bit in this grief, and said it was time to pay attention. Those words brought great hope to those who love him. And while Sue is irreplaceable, we have the privilege of knowing the words between us all are good and the awareness of choosing wisely so that each gift we utter lovingly lands in the heart of another.

May each of you choose your words carefully as they are seeds planted that provide nutrients for the heart, perhaps even your own. 





No comments:

Post a Comment