Friday, April 25, 2014

DAY 25: THE LIGHTHOUSE

Welcome to Friday!!  I am back from my road trip and doing my laundry. It was a very fun and successful trip in which I have learned that I will be selling my plasma, blood, and one kidney in order to pay for college. I plan to blog more on that tomorrow at
www.5inthetribe.blogspot.com 

I am not a clothes horse so I literally took about half of what I own on this trip, therefore I decided to purge the rest of what I have. So being in the closet of a woman today  I am featuring The Lighthouse , a women's shelter for those of domestic violence . 




The Lighthouse is a women's shelter located in Robertsdale  that is committed to providing support, preventing violence and promoting justice for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.  The Lighthouse serves more than 2,000 victims of domestic violence and sexual assault every year. They  employ 17 individuals that include licensed counselors, social workers, and criminal justice professionals.  Along with items that are needed The Lighthouse also has a vast array of volunteer opportunities.  Check them out, you may just be the talent, muscle or story sharing that is needed at just the right time.

They have listed their immediate needs as the following:

Immediate needs

  • TOILET PAPER & PAPER TOWELS
  • DEODORANT
  • TOOTHPASTE
  • TWO-IN-ONE SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER
  • WOMEN’S SOCKS
  • WOMEN’S UNDERWEAR – ALL SIZES
  • LAUNDRY DETERGENT
  • LYSOL AEROSOL SPRAY


I plan on donating sock of which I have too many but also purchasing underware for the shelter as I head to Target to replace my own ratty ones. Elastic gone and two holes is just really signal for  um.. well that I've let myself go a bit-  yeah just a smidge.   Anyway along with the give aways of what I do have I am also increasingly aware of the fact that I can think of someone's  needs as I go about fulfilling my own.  Each Target, Publix, Farmers Market or restaurant is an opportunity for me to pick up a little something for someone else.  I can do a little here , a little there and let it add up to drop off at the end of each month.  I could buy an extra chicken sandwich in Chik fa la and pray to come in contact with someone else.  I want this thought process to rub off on...no rather rub off IN me. I want generosity to become a permanent part of my DNA.

Let me know if you have anything to donate to The Lighthouse and I promise I won't think your weird if you ask me to pick up a package of panties. Your welcome to drop them at my house too just make sure you put them in a labeled bag, because well let's face it dropping drawers at my door without a description could get you labeled weird.

Alison Hill
251-463-3511
alison_hill@bellsouth.net

No comments:

Post a Comment