Saturday, April 12, 2014

DAY 12: YELLOW COTTAGE/ THE SHOULDER

It is Saturday afternoon and I am doing my happy dance.  It has been a busy productive week and I for one am ready to do one of my favorite family activities called “Nothing on Purpose”.
As I have been going through all our extras and being mindful to pick up a few needed extras from the store for featured charities (remember laundry detergent, dog food) I have run across a few items that don’t fit in any particular area. This is where the temptation to bag it up for goodwill comes in.  Fight that urge!!!  I do not have anything directly against Goodwill but I am a big believer in doing your research and knowing where your giving is going. It’s not like taxes where you have to no matter how bad they mismanage it. You have a choice here. Hooray!   This is the whole point of my 30 for 30, giving where it will best be blessed. 

When it is time to give my more generic items away I choose to donate to the The Yellow Cottage, located on 181. You can’t miss it. Heading south on 181 from I-10 it’s on your right hand side just before the Wal-Mart intersection in Fairhope. It’s easy to see because well it actually is a yellow cottage. 

The Yellow Cottage is a non-profit thrift boutique directly benefiting The Shoulder, a private, Christian, non-profit treatment center for those with substance abuse problems. The Shoulder has treatment facilities located in Foley and right here in my neck of the woods, Spanish Fort. I have had several friends rave about this program that aided them in their family crisis. The Shoulder is a local agency with no parent organization. They are totally dependent on the local community for our funding. Without it they cannot survive and this is why I choose to donate here.


The Yellow Cottage not only accepts furniture, household items, and fantastic clothes, but you can shop your heart out there for great stuff. Scored a killer homecoming dress last year for $10.95!!!  All donations are tax deductible. Gather up all your miscellaneous items you have found the past 11 days and head on down to the sweet Yellow Cottage.

HOURS: Mon- Fri. 10:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
20741 Hwy 181, FairhopeAL 36532
 251- 928-8260

And if anyone you love needs help with addiction check out and support
 The Shoulder  P.O. Box 7130, Spanish Fort, AL 36577251-626-2199    


Text if you need a pick up
251-463-3511

No comments:

Post a Comment